Saturday, October 16, 2010

If JMU were a house, I think it would be this one.  Funny how even though I am no longer there, I see it in all places and things.  Highlights of this week....
  • watching a theatrical performance of the Giving Tree outside under the sun- it is my favorite book.
  • feeling entirely uncomfortable having to talk to complete strangers about where they shop for food and if it is difficult to access fresh fruits and vegetables & in return feeling just fine by the fourth person.  One mans response has stuck with me, when asked if he thinks community gardens are a good thing.."Yeah, they give kids something to do, gets them off play-station and the TV and learning real work."   
  • Realizing that the strange rash/stain/bizarre discoloration on my hands is not some disease rather from taking the leaves off of parsnips.  Who knew?
  • Joining in on a cooking demo for women in a shelter and witnessing her first taste of zucchini and spinach.  She went from, you gotta be kidding me- there is no way I am eating this, let alone going to like this to mmm good. When mixed in a delightful vegetable lasagna she loved it and even came back for seconds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment