Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Dear Kenya,

I meant to write this sooner but it seems I have a hard time making all my many thoughts (thought bubbles are what I like to call them) come together in a clear, concise letter.

I also love words dearly so I tend to over think and analyze each sentence.
 
So I decided, for this letter, I would try my best to stop thinking so hard and just write.

I'm excited to meet you.  I'm excited because I love travel. Though what I love more is traveling with a sense of purpose or reason. Travelling to get your hands dirty, to sleep in not so comfy conditions, to give even when it hurts.  That's the kind of travel I love.
 
A door opened to come see you, unexpectedly, it was after I had let go of planning and thinking and researching.  It was when I thought, "Well, maybe, now just isn't the time.  Maybe going to Africa will have to wait."
 
And then you showed up, through a dear friend to suprise me.
 
Two open spots on her trip, with this organization.  That was all she said.
 
So I prayed and bought my tickets and now you are here - I meet you tomorrow. 
 
I hope you know I only want to do what is best for you.  So if that means talking to people all night and into the wee hours of the morning - I will. 
 
If it means lifting heavy things in the hot sun all day - I will.
 
If it means being still and quiet and not saying anything at all - I will.
 
If it means dancing, jumping for joy, lifting my hands in the air, running with kids - I will.
 
If it means praying with strangers, when sometimes I struggle to pray out loud - I will.
 
Just tell me what you need. 
 
I pray you take all you need from me and leave the rest.   I pray that you change me, for good.  I pray that I come back to you again, if I am meant too, and that it is for a long, long time - not just a week or a few days. 

I pray that I come home refreshed and encouraged and full of joy.   

I can't wait to meet you:)
 
Love,
Maeve
 
 
​​

2 comments:

  1. God bless you Maeve!!! His light is shining so brightly in you--many will see it! I'm so excited to follow your journey. We'll be praying that your "meeting" will turn into a life long friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Maeve, I am speechless after reading your letter.
    Your soul is beautiful. I am honored to be your blood relative and so very proud of all you are dedicating your life towards. Follow that heart dear cousin. Your light shines brightly!!!
    Love you so much

    ReplyDelete